A warm cup of tea in your hand, a seat by your window and a book in hand – doesn’t that sound like the best kind of weekend plan? We love our chai and we adore our books. Especially with this winter chill, cozying up in bed or a couch under a blanket with a book seems like the most comfortable option for chilling.
But would you ever wonder that the kind of tea you drink can elevate your reading experience? Though this sounds far-fetched, believe us when we tell you that this is absolutely true. So here are our picks for 5 perfect books to enjoy over a cup of tea.
- Sacred Games by Vikram Chandra: This gritty adventure set in the city of Mumbai is the kind of novel that will have you biting your nails and sitting on the edge of your seat. Every page has a surprise and we can guarantee that you cannot put down the book even if you wanted to. Needless to say, copious amounts of masala chai and suspenseful reading goes well together. Therefore, this is one of the perfect books to enjoy over tea!
Best paired with: Masala Chai
- South of the Border, West of the Sun by Haruki Murakami: Murakami’s typical melancholy style of writing brings about a sense of gloom as you turn the pages of this classic by the author. However, this book is a complete page-turner. This tale of love and loss and unrequited romance gets you intertwined in the lives of the characters in the novel and makes you want to understand their psyche. The melancholia of this novel is best enjoyed with the simplicity of green tea. What’s better is a flavoured cuppa of this healthy drink and AVT’s Lemon, Jasmine and Lemon and Ginger are surely our top options! Of all the perfect books to enjoy over tea, this one is a clear favourite!
Best paired with: Flavoured green tea
- Harry Potter and the Order of The Phoenix by J.K. Rowling: This pairing is easily an important item in our list of perfect books to enjoy over tea! It is a long read and what goes better with a thick book than a big mug of ginger tea? As you flip through the pages of the 5th installment of this childhood classic, we hope you get an endless supply of tea with a gingery kick.
Best paired with: Ginger Tea
- Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden: A pre and post-World War II novel chronicling the life of a geisha in Kyoto, Japan, Memoirs of Geisha is one gripping read. You feel like you are living Chiyo’s experiences and struggles with her in the streets of Kyoto. To go with this authentic Japanese reading affair, we suggest a thick cup of Matcha tea also known as Koicha. A mug of Matcha and Memoirs of Geisha is right on top of our pile of perfect books to read over tea.
Best paired with: Thick Matcha Tea
- Famous Five Series by Enid Blyton: Imagine summer vacations with a tall glass of lemony iced tea and interesting adventures with Julian, Dick, Anne, Georgina and the adorable Timmy! There couldn’t be a better childhood memory. For years, this series has been a part of our perfect books to enjoy over tea – iced or hot! So cosying up on a sunny, winter morning with iced tea and adventures of these child detectives sound extremely tempting.
Best paired with: Lemon Iced Tea
While your winter reading list is sorted, let us know your reading recommendations in the comments below!