Green Tea comes from the leaves of the Camellia Sinensis and among its other variants like Black tea, White Tea and Oolong Tea, it is said to be more powerful. The main factor that distinguishes the different types of tea is the different types of processes in how they are all prepared. This includes processes like oxidization, rolling, cutting, drying, pan-frying, and much more.
Some of the good benefits of Green Tea are as follows:
- It can help reduce the risk of cancer: It contains a high level of polyphenols which are said to decrease the risk of cancer in some studies.
- It can help reduce cholesterol: It can help in reducing the amount of bad cholesterol, which is LDL, that may be accumulating in the body.
- It can help to have a glowing skin: Consumption of Green tea can help make your skin better, mainly because of the anti-microbial and anti-inflammatory properties that can help fight acne and other skin issues.
- It can help fight chronic diseases: Green tea can help in making the body’s immunity better and stronger and help fight many diseases.
- It can help improve brain function: The tea is rich with antioxidants and caffeine that can help improve the functioning of the brain and can help in a faster-thinking efficiency.
- It can aid weight loss: Green tea is said to be helpful in losing weight and help in boosting the overall metabolic rate.
- It can help reduce bad breath: It is filled with good catechins that can help improve your overall oral health by reducing the risk of infections.
- It can help decrease the risk of diabetes: Various studies have shown how drinking green tea regularly can help in reducing the risk of diabetes.
*Source: Vegetarian Times
While we have understood by now that there are many good benefits of Green tea, it is necessary to understand what is the right way to consume it. It is often found that people consume green tea without properly understanding how it can really benefit you. Because if you consume it in the wrong way, it won’t be able to provide you with all the nutrients!
Here are some Dos and Don’ts on how to drink Green tea in the right way:
Don’t drink tea immediately after a meal
It is assumed that consuming green tea immediately after a meal can help burn calories. But that is not the right way to drink green tea!
This can upset your stomach since the food you consumed has not been digested completely.
Seeping the tea leaves longer does not help
Many people tend to let the tea leaves stay in the water longer, thinking that this will help retain more nutrients. But that is not the case. Keeping it for a longer time than recommended can actually make the tea bitter.
Moreover, it can also decrease the original amount of nutrients.
Drinking tea super hot does not help
Many people believe that green tea can only be beneficial when it is super hot. But that is not at all true. While following the recommended process is necessary, over boiling it does not help retain more nutrients.
Moreover, this can lead to an upset stomach caused by excessive heat.
Medicines should not be taken with Green tea
A lot of people tend to think that since green tea is beneficial for health, it can be used as a substitute of water. That is not true!
Medicines should only be consumed as prescribed and mostly with water.
Green tea is not a substitute for milk
Unlike Milk, green tea has different properties. While both of them are beneficial in their own ways, they cannot be substituted. While milk is usually consumed as a beverage in the morning or late at night, green tea cannot be treated the same way.
Because of its level of caffeine, it is not the best promoter of sleep and should not be consumed that way.
Just drinking Green tea cannot help you lose weight
While consuming green tea has been good for losing weight, it is not the ultimate solution. A proper diet and regular exercise are necessary to live a healthy and fit life. Incorporating good habits like drinking green tea can definitely help in this process.
Don’t add honey to hot tea
Honey is an excellent substitute for wanting a healthy sweetness to your tea. But pouring it in hot tea does not help. Instead the honey may tend to lose its properties when mixed with very hot tea.
It is best to let the tea reach a normal temperature when adding the honey.
Choose a good quality tea
When consuming something like green tea, it is necessary to ensure that the quality of the tea is good. Only a good quality tea will be able to give you all the healthy nutrients that it has to offer.
Have a special mug for your tea
Having a special mug in which you enjoy your tea everyday can help alleviate stress. It is a feeling you look forward to the process and are able to enjoy it more.
Learn to enjoy the tea
Green tea is especially helpful for releasing stress and tension that you may be facing. It is filled with antioxidants that can help rejuvenate you.
Which is why it is important to consume it right. Do not consume it in a haste.
Instead, sit down and relax while enjoying your cup of green tea.
These are some of the basic Dos and Don’ts to follow while consuming Green tea. Only after knowing the correct way of how to drink green tea, can you reap the best results!
It is also very necessary to understand that green tea can only help your body become better and healthier if you take care of it too. A good and well-balanced diet coupled with exercise can really bring a big change in your life!